PB&J Meringue Kisses
These little puffs of heaven are the perfect sweet treat. Aquafaba is magic! The water that is left over from cooking chickpeas (which is also the same stuff found in the cans) whips up just like egg whites. This recipe also uses powdered natvia which is a natural low calorie sweetener. Natvia is made with stevia, a plant that is 300 times sweeter than sugar and erythritol, a naturally occurring nectar found in fruits such as lemons and grapes. These delicious kisses are the perfect low-carb treat, that also happen to be diabetic and ketogenic friendly. Meringue that won't spike up your blood sugar levels like crazy?! Made without eggs?! Yup, it's tasty healthy vegan sourcery.
Macros Per Serve:
Calories: 114.22 kcal Net Carbs: 5 grams Protein: 5.26 grams Fat: 8.35 grams
Makes 12 servings (1 Kiss Per Serve)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hours 50 minutes
125 ml chilled aquafaba
62 g powdered Natvia (blitz Natvia in a dry high speed blender to create powdered “sugar”)
2 tsp tapioca starch
pinch of sea salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
200 grams Peanut Butter
150 grams Raspberries
1. Preheat the oven to Preheat the oven to 135 degrees Celcius (275°F).
2. Pour the chilled aquafaba into a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat at low speed, then slowly increase to high speed and beat for 5 minutes until soft peaks have formed.
3. In a small bowl, add the tapioca to the powdered natvia and mix until well combined. Turn the speed back down to medium-high and start adding the natvia mix one heaped tablespoon at a time. Once all of the natvia has been added, increase the speed back to the highest setting and whip until stiff, glossy peaks form.
4. Stop the mixer and pour in the vanilla and vinegar. Beat for another 30 seconds until incorporated.
5. Once you’ve picked your jaw up off the ground because aquafaba is so magical, transfer meringue to a piping bag and pipe onto a baking sheet. Create little peaks or “kisses” about 3-4 cm in diameter.
6. Turn down the oven t 120 degrees Celsius (250°F) and bake meringue cookies for 1.5 hours or until the outside is dry to the touch. Remove from the oven and cool.
7. Crush the raspberries with a fork and place into a small piping bag. Place peanut butter into a small piping bag as well.
8. Pipe a layer of peanut butter onto the bottom (widest end) of a meringue cookie. Pipe crushed raspberry onto the peanut butter and place another meringue cookie on top to create a “sandwich”.
9. Et Voila your PB&J Meringue Kisses are complete! Enjoy and savour mindfully.