Veto Choc-Chip Hot Cross Buns
Who doesn’t love a nice, warm and fluffy hot cross bun slathered in vegan butter? My version of the recipe isn’t fluffy but it’s moist, delicious and incorporates one of my favourite foods: chocolate! We use Sacred Earth Organic Drinking Cacao to make our own chocolate chips. Using a combination of almond & coconut flour, these buns are low-carb, gluten-free, keto friendly, diabetic friendly and of course vegan. Go ahead, what are you waiting for? Get baking!
Macros Per Serve:
Calories: 447.3 kcal Net Carbs: 7.4 grams Protein: 7 grams Fat: 41.5 grams
Makes 10 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
100 g Sacred Earth Drinking Cacao
100 g cacao butter
Hot Cross Buns:
50 g coconut flour
80 g almond flour
50 g powdered natvia
2 tbsp psyllium husk powder
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp clove
20 g cacao nibs
5 flax eggs (1 flax egg = tbsp flax to 3 tbsp water)
50 ml coconut mylk
145 g melted coconut oil
55 g melted cacao butter
150 g cashews soaked and drained
100 ml alkaline filtered water
50 g melted cacao butter
20 g powdered natvia
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp psyllium husk powder
- Place cacao butter into a metal mixing bowl over a saucepan containing water. Heat until the cacao is just melted, stirring constantly.
- Pour into a blender jug and add the Sacred Earth Drinking Cacao. Blend on high speed until super smooth and pour back into the mixing bowl.
- Using a spatula, spread mixture up the sides of the mixing bowl to temper the chocolate until it's shiny. Basically you're trying to cool the chocolate by spreading it over a large surface area as you mix it.
- Once the chocolate is glossy and has thickened slightly, pour into chocolate mould and place in the freezer for 15 minutes or until chocolate has set completely.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl, mix hot cross bun ingredients except for the coconut oil, flax eggs & coconut mylk until well combined.
- Add the remaining wet ingredients and incorporate until dough forms.
- Remove chocolate from the freezer and chop roughly. Kneed into the dough until evenly distributed.
- Divide dough into 10 even buns and place on a baking tin lined with baking paper.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes or until golden and leave to cool until buns are warm but not too hot to touch.
- Blend all ingredients for the crosses in a high-speed blender until smooth. Transfer to a piping bag and pipe crosses onto the buns.
- Enjoy warm with some vegan butter. Serve alongside a warm cup of Sacred Earth Drinking Cacao. Yum!